 Marketplace / Shopping / 3987
Re: Brickbay Temp URL Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 18:07:42 GMT

Hi,

[By the way, the "bgok" user is probably me--if it shows up as some contrived awful
stupid Gomer name.  Why it took that and still gave me an error message, I don't
know.]

"D. Jezek" wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Ah, forgot to do this:

I checked the site out with MSIE 5.00. The tables are OK (as they are on • Navigator).
The country window does show up on MSIE.  The payment checkboxes register as
selections when checked on MSIE.  Both of these two items do not work on • Navigator and
prevent registration.  Also, the name selected for the store on the • registration form
appears as the name of the individual on the main page when you return--is • the store
name something you need to change manually, and is it advisable to automate • that
(given the potential for mischief)?  Although I think the site will be • popular for
sellers, I would be surprised if the number is so great that you could not • cursorily
screen initial registrations personally.

Only sellers need to be approved, buyers are automatically approved right away.

OK.  I didn't know if the seller-approval would be automatic in the final
implementation, but you've anticipated this.  :)  Yeah, there's only so much
mischief a buyer can make.

Ah, and what's the possibility of having
passwords longer than 6 letters?

Maybe 10 if that's long enough.

Easily long enough!

I just went through the mock-buying process (those 1x6 orange bricks are a • *steal* at
five bucks a pop, thanks Mike! ;) ) and it's seamless.  I like how • registering as a
seller gives you buyer privileges, obviating a second registration. • The "sell" header
is a bit odd, because it only has registration options (first registration • and change
of registration); would it be possible to have a login there that would carry • you to
the "build inventory" screen?

Probably not.  I'd rather change the name to let's say "seller registration"
and keep the inventory adding in the members section.

That sounds fine to me, YMMV.

Seems redundant, yes, but I instantly headed to the
"sell" header to build inventory.  However, the "build inventory" screen is • very
well-done itself, and answers many of my hypothetical questions from the • preceding
message in the pleasing affirmative (although those tables and windows are • indeed
messed up in Netscape)--although if the partsref picture could be correlated • to the
tabulated descriptions that would make use easier for newbies.  In my case, I • wanted
to add 1,000 brown pitchforks at $0.05 apiece and it was easy in MSIE--it • took only
the colour (but not the category, contrary to what the build inventory screen
states)

Really.  When I don't select the category, it gives me an error.  Will have to
look into that.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Well, I did choose a category--but it didn't put the category into the
description.  I chose "brown -> minifigs, whole (no accessories section yet) ->
darth vader (brown?)" and put "Pitchfork" into the bonus descriptor.  It gave me
"brown pitchfork" as a final description.  However, it still appears under "parts
by type" on the main page.  I think I was unclear on how it was supposed to work;
now that I look at it again, it has a distinct logic that works.

And thanks for buying all my faux pitchforks, Mike!  It gave me a chance to see
what the purchase-notification system was like.  (Heavens, I hope you don't really
think I have a thousand pitchforks for you! ;) )  Anyways, I was surprised because
I didn't think the notification system was online yet--but it gave me all of the
vital information in the most spartan possible package.  I like that, because one
problem I have with eBay is how fluffy the notification system is.  It's a pain to
get all the information in one place with them, so I really appreciate how it's
done.  And the inventory updates once you check out!  Neat.
However, will we always have to remove the items manually when quantity is zero?
Items with a zero quantity still show up on the inventory; is that perhaps a
deliberate "aw shucks!" device meant to get buyers to be more vigilant, knowing
that they just missed a desirable item?  If so, curse you, you sneaky weasel, you.
;)  Such a thing might be put on a timer to expire after, say, three days (but I
have no idea how hard that is to implement).

It was very easy to remove the listing in the "my BrickBay" section, and also
simple to check the status of orders.  However, in the "order detail" (when I look
at Mike's order from me, for example), the quantity appears but the price per unit
shows up as $0.00--I'm assuming that the total price is generated based on that
piece of information, so that entry is probably OK even though the amount comes up
"$0.00".

Overall, very nice sales function--I like how it works, and can imagine very easily
how well it will lend itself to mass sales.

best

Lindsay