 Marketplace / Shopping / 3980
Re: Brickbay Temp URL Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 15:02:54 GMT

Ah, forgot to do this:

I checked the site out with MSIE 5.00. The tables are OK (as they are on Navigator).
The country window does show up on MSIE.  The payment checkboxes register as
selections when checked on MSIE.  Both of these two items do not work on Navigator and
prevent registration.  Also, the name selected for the store on the registration form
appears as the name of the individual on the main page when you return--is the store
name something you need to change manually, and is it advisable to automate that
(given the potential for mischief)?  Although I think the site will be popular for
sellers, I would be surprised if the number is so great that you could not cursorily
screen initial registrations personally.  Ah, and what's the possibility of having
passwords longer than 6 letters?

I just went through the mock-buying process (those 1x6 orange bricks are a *steal* at
five bucks a pop, thanks Mike! ;) ) and it's seamless.  I like how registering as a
seller gives you buyer privileges, obviating a second registration.  The "sell" header
is a bit odd, because it only has registration options (first registration and change
of registration); would it be possible to have a login there that would carry you to
the "build inventory" screen?  Seems redundant, yes, but I instantly headed to the
"sell" header to build inventory.  However, the "build inventory" screen is very
well-done itself, and answers many of my hypothetical questions from the preceding
message in the pleasing affirmative (although those tables and windows are indeed
messed up in Netscape)--although if the partsref picture could be correlated to the
tabulated descriptions that would make use easier for newbies.  In my case, I wanted
to add 1,000 brown pitchforks at $0.05 apiece and it was easy in MSIE--it took only
the colour (but not the category, contrary to what the build inventory screen states)
and added my descriptor "pitchfork."  The logical tree from adding and confirming is
OK.  However, in Netscape, it did not register any of the table choices made, so
adding items was impossible (although I was able to log in).

One other, function-unrelated thought:  Do you think that, if eBay gets wind of the
site, they'll make a stink about use of analogous terms as infringement of copyright?
With as popular as this will be, it's a possibility--even though it's not an auction
site, it does have the potential to take seller volume away from eBay.

Apologies if this sounds critical--I'm being more detailed in identifying blips and
quirks here, but I have noticed the very many things that are already implemented
splendidly in this beta build.  Kudos!

best

Lindsay