 Marketplace / Shopping / 3983
Re: Brickbay Temp URL Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 16:24:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Hmmm...when I try to register as a seller, it tells me in blood red that I • have
not chosen a payment option (I chose all but personal cheques) and a country
(there's no box for it).  I'm using Navigator 4.6, and I too get the &nbsp
tags.

I haven't even looked at it in Netscape and it would probably be a good idea
to do so.  But thanks for letting me know of all the errors that you got.
They'll be fixed.

Out of curiosity, when listing items, will you be able to specify and OK a
partsref image for your item by searching for the graphic, and if necessary • change
that image?  That would open the system to people who aren't as familiar with
ldraw and the parts reference as we diehards.  Alternately, would items be • listed
entirely by ldraw number, to standardise descriptions across shops?  This is • all
hypothetical grousing of course because I wasn't able to see it in action.

I dunno about Ldraw licensing issues.  It's possible to have a default image
for each part that would change as you scroll through the list of parts
defined.  But since this will be a commercial site, offering lDraw images as
part of the services might go against ldraw licensing issues.

Shopping--when putting in a customer name, I chose a rather strange username:
"bgok."  The programme also told me in blood red that "bgok" was taken.

Believe it or not, looking through the list of users that registered, there is
a buyer with login name "bgok" :-)

I tried
"mxtrl" (in an effort to ensure it's not just someone else with a fixation on
chicken utterances) and got the same response regarding it.  Perhaps both • this and
my seller trouble have to do with a companion server not being up right now,
because Mike was apparently able to set  up an account without trouble?

Otherwise it looks great considering it's three weeks' part-time construction!
The running inventories, shopping cart, and error loops all feel very logical • and
give enough feedback to allow correction.

Thanks.

Let me know what you think of the site so far and if the features would make
you comfortable to buy and sell there.

Is there any way to put the name of the "shop" somewhere better than at the • top of
the browser?

The name of the shop will show up as a link on the main page.  Where would you
like it to be?

Any thought of allowing customisation of backgrounds and so forth,
to add to the uniqueness of appearance (although I definitely like a standard
interface, and believe that should stay as uniform as possible)?  I for one • would
love to be able to have a background image or somesuch, if it were possible to
implement it--even if it would require submitting a request to the erstwhile
webmaster.  ;)

You should be able to pick from a list of colors or specify a RGB value and
pick a background image for the left frame.  If there is not background image,
it will just show the colors.

It's looking really good!  I can't wait.

Thanks again.