 Marketplace / Shopping / 3979
Re: Brickbay Temp URL Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 14:28:26 GMT

Dan-

For those interested, I have a beta version 0.7 running.  There are still bugs
but most of the functionality for selling parts (only) are there.
Here is a page with the temporary URL:

http://www.aloha.net/~danjezek/temp.html

I'll stay connected overnight so the URL should work for some time.
Click on "sell" to register and you'll be approved as a "seller" right away.
You can enter bogus info into the registration form for now.  Then go into
myBrickbay and see all the functionalities that are there.  Also, you can try
to buy something and then view your order in myBrickbay under orders placed.
You can see your shopping cart being built, how many items you have in it and
any error messages.

Hmmm...when I try to register as a seller, it tells me in blood red that I have
not chosen a payment option (I chose all but personal cheques) and a country
(there's no box for it).  I'm using Navigator 4.6, and I too get the &nbsp tags.
Out of curiosity, when listing items, will you be able to specify and OK a
partsref image for your item by searching for the graphic, and if necessary change
that image?  That would open the system to people who aren't as familiar with
ldraw and the parts reference as we diehards.  Alternately, would items be listed
entirely by ldraw number, to standardise descriptions across shops?  This is all
hypothetical grousing of course because I wasn't able to see it in action.

Shopping--when putting in a customer name, I chose a rather strange username:
"bgok."  The programme also told me in blood red that "bgok" was taken.  I tried
"mxtrl" (in an effort to ensure it's not just someone else with a fixation on
chicken utterances) and got the same response regarding it.  Perhaps both this and
my seller trouble have to do with a companion server not being up right now,
because Mike was apparently able to set  up an account without trouble?

Otherwise it looks great considering it's three weeks' part-time construction!
The running inventories, shopping cart, and error loops all feel very logical and
give enough feedback to allow correction.

Let me know what you think of the site so far and if the features would make
you comfortable to buy and sell there.

Is there any way to put the name of the "shop" somewhere better than at the top of
the browser?  Any thought of allowing customisation of backgrounds and so forth,
to add to the uniqueness of appearance (although I definitely like a standard
interface, and believe that should stay as uniform as possible)?  I for one would
love to be able to have a background image or somesuch, if it were possible to
implement it--even if it would require submitting a request to the erstwhile
webmaster.  ;)

It's looking really good!  I can't wait.

best

Lindsay