 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 127
Re: The junk-box (was: What I'm agonna do)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:45:38 GMT

The stuff doesn't look too bad to me at all.

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
There is also about *2* boxes worth of stuff that I would characterize
as "junk". There is good stuff in there but it may be yellowed, very
dirty, chewed on, or broken. There ARE parts I think people would covet
in there though. I do NOT want to mix it in with the rest.

Here's a photo of the bag I assembled which I think we would all agree is
"junk":

   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/jambalaya/misc/3794C1E2.jpg

More details:
   - Severe yellowing in some cases (white, gray, and blue especially).
   - Sand or dirt or gum pushed up into the tubes in some cases.
   - Chewed or chipped or bent or totally broken (like snapped in half) in
     some cases.
   - Scribbled on randomly with pens in some cases.
   - Severely scratched in some cases (as if someone had taken sandpaper to
     the element).

So basically, it's the kind of stuff that you'd *cringe* at if you bought an
old collection sight-unseen.

Todd asked me not to and said if I didn't want to send it out, just
throw it away.

Yeah, some of the stuff in this bag is in such bad condition, it would not
only bum people out if it were a surprise, but it might even make them
angry.  So I wanted to make sure that it would never be a surprise, and
hence the "junk box" label.

I think he was kidding.

Partially, but not entirely.  This was stuff that I would never ever sell,
and certainly would never ever build with, and would even feel uncomfortable
donating to a school or something like that, even to Goodwill.

I think the only good use for it is sending it out to true die-hard LEGO
fanatics who'd rather have -some- broken up old copy of a piece instead of
nothing (like, say, if they were missing it from an old set).

--Todd