 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 14271
Re: New LUGNET t-shirts at BrickFest!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:13:50 GMT

I appreciate her work on this, and I'm glad that at least SOME people will have
access to black shirts (I wish that I had access, but I don't, and I perfectly
understand why, and have no problem with the why, it makes sense).

FYI, I know the PITA black screenprinting can be - I have shirts printed for
our worldwide car club, and I only have them printed on white and grey shirts
because I know of the problems with black.  I personally want a black version,
but there is not enough interest to cover the cost involved (I might wrangle a
"test print" of a dozen or so just so I get my own sooner or later ;-)

I also understand the costs all too well - I fronted the costs of the first
major printing.  With all the layout and graphics costs from the companies
involved, it ran about $500-1000, as this was a relatively complex job - the
main graphic for the back of the shirt is fullcolor 8x11, and 9 different
smaller front logos were created on the second screen.  Since then, individual
printings are relatively low cost when done in my (not the companies') required
minimum of 50 Tshirts.  (If anyone really cares to see what I am talking about,
see http://www.vfaq.com/ClubMerch/ClubDSM-Tshirt-form.html, but it's non-Lego
related, so feel free to ignore it - BTW, the costs of setting up the pic taken
were FAR more than the initial Tshirt print, I know we spent well over $1000
that day in city fees, Lombard Street Association fees, permits, lift rental,
film, etc, etc, etc - luckily, I didn't have to front the money for that day)

I know this next idea might not be feasible for you, but I hope you and Suz
will consider it, as I think it is definitely workable, and would be easier for
you two to handle (in administration, cost, and profits) in the end...

There is interest in polo shirts (I myself am definitely interested too), but
as Suz has already mentioned, she'd want embroidery in that case.  I agree,
that would be best.  However, that then greatly narrows the pool of shirt
producers and will most likely remove the possibility of direct Lugnet sales
that send profits to you.

I may have a solution that would work for polo shirts *and many other
products*.  Have Lugnet logo PATCHES created, in several sizes (small - about
1.5" in height, large 2.5-3, and maybe a medium between).

Patches can easily be ordered by you, and at a relatively low cost if you order
a decent amount.  If the initial order cost will be high, take preorders (I'd
gladly plunk down a preorder for 6 or more in various sizes).  People can then
sew the patches on Tshirts, Polos, dress shirts, jackets, caps, backpacks, you
name it.

BayLTC is having some patches made so that members can find a shirt THEY like
and sew them on for train shows.   I believe this works better than getting the
logo directly embroidered onto a shirt, as getting a group to agree on a
specific shirt is difficult.  Also, embroidery, even when done correctly, is
often "itchy" - the backing for the embroidery has "hard spots" that drive me
NUTS.  An embroidered patch rarely has the problem, as the only thing
contacting your skin is the thread fastening it to the shirt.  And if you get a
shirt with a breast pocket and sew it to the pocket (rather than the
more-common embroidering it ABOVE the pocket), you don't even have that thread
to worry about.

If many different groups (LTCs, LUGS, Bricklink, etc) each had a patch made,
people could then collect patches.

I have 3 Lego backpacks (from my 3 Lego luggage sets) that are just waiting for
various patches to be sewn on - a Lugnet patch would be the most desired for
the backpack I used on my LLC trips ;-)  A hat could use a small patch, but the
backpack is begging for a large one, even up to 6" high.

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Thomas Stangl writes:
Yeah, I like the IDEA of it, but I don't like the idea of only selling it at
Brickfest :-/

Suzanne is looking for help from people who are interested in helping out
with T-shirts, if you have ideas.  A couple of additional things to keep in
mind here --

First, these shirts were printed locally and not through a mail-order place
like CafePress.  Physically filling orders and shipping is time-consuming, so
a common meeting place like BrickFest is a perfect venue.  The way I look at
it, it's better to have them at BrickFest than not at all.  This is a great
step forward.  Maybe it will open doors to other, better, options.

Second, this is a small T-shirt run.  Bigger runs cost a lot more up-front,
and even small ones are costly.  So Suzanne isn't trying to do everything
at once.  This small run tests the waters for black and tan shirts, as well
as does something nice for people attending BrickFest...that's a large part
of the motivation.

Some of us can't afford both Brickfest and Brickswest.

OK, but, what if shirts like these were also sold at BricksWest?

Alternatively, maybe someone in your area is travelling to BrickFest and
could pick one up for you.  Or there might even be someone in some random
location who's willing to buy one for you and ship it to you.

Anyway, I hope everyone can appreciate the amount of work that Suzanne has
done and is continuing to do to get ready for BrickFest.  I don't know how
she does it!  I can hardly contain my excitement, from what I've heard so
far.  Keep your ears open this weekend -- then take a moment to imagine the
amount of work and thought she has put into things.

--Todd