 Local / Australia / 13100
13099  |  13101
Subject:
The game's afoot! (was re: Battle)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:45:16 GMT

Ok my Pugnacious Potentates, Bellicose Brigands and Confused Combatants,

This Sunday in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, the battlefield stands
ready for a festival the like of which few combatants will see the end:

To the north, the ancient druidic ruins wherein, legend has it, is a crystal of
odd properties.

To the sea in the east, the sturdy monastery of the Warrior Monks of St
Patbrick, lying empty since they up and vanished, and the wreck of some Nordic
sailing ship.

To he south, the approaches to Castle Arrrgh, guarded by the Woefully Inadequate
Guardhouse.

To the west, not much of anything really

And in the centre, the sturdy and secure walls and battlements of the Castle
Arrrgh, and the sturdy but not so secure drawbridge, currently unable to be
raised while periodic maintenance takes place.

Don't get too excited though, its only a model, and yes, that's my dining table.

At present it seems likely that there may be an army garrisoning the castle,
allied with an army garrisoning the monastery, and other armies without and
rather keen to get within.

At these stage we know that there are armies in the vicinity:

the French, with two armies on the New Army model

the Prussians with a similar army
(To the meaningless French idealisms of liberty, equality, and fraternity, we
oppose the German realities of infantry, cavalry, and artillery...)

the British  with infantry and artillery

some odd Nordic barbarian cavalry types with some vintage artillery

And there are rumours of more British, and three naked Celts running about the
countryside.

And there are those who say you should run, that if you fight, you will die.

Aye, fight and you may die, run and you will live. At least a while. And dying
in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days
from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance to come back here and
tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our
freeeedom.

I have just sent an email to all the Pretenders to the Title of 'Survivor'
(Richie, Robb and other, Pete, Ryan, Patrick).  If you want to come and you
haven't told me, now is the time...

Richard
Still baldly going...