 Local / Australia / 13099
Re: valuing lego for insurance purposes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:58:04 GMT

Sue Ann Barber wrote:
"Jonathan Wilson" <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message
news:IAL6w5.xFL@lugnet.com...

Easy: Ring your current insurance company and ask what they will accept.

(A good point to start at will be a list of purchases and how much you

paid.

Receipts would be good too. Keep in mind that Lego might not be a

particularly

risky collectible...).

The insurance company wants a list.

I have no clue what all this stuff is worth.
Or how much I paid for the various items in my collection.
Any ideas on how to come up with a value that the insurance will accept?

Well, sets are the easy part - you could take the average listing value off
of Bricklink. Doesn't matter what you really paid for as it's unlikely
you'll have receipts. At least Bricklink will give you an average
replacement price per set. .

Parts are a little bit more tricky. Do they want you to list each individual
piece that isn't part of a set? Probably not too hard if you have things
sorted out. You could get the average price for these off of Bricklink too I
suppose.
Hmmm, I was hoping for a way to do this that didnt involve going through
and building every set in my collection and then valuing each set plus all
the parts that are left.
Assume they dont want lists of individual parts, is there another sutable
way to come up with a $ value for the parts?
I guess that $ values for individual parts would be a good idea for the
"hard to find" parts (like the classic space printed 1 x 6 x 5 bricks and
the red round shields and stuff) then $ values for all the sets I have
instructions for... Then come up with some other $ value for whats left...