 Local / Australia / 13106
Re: valuing lego for insurance purposes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:06:27 GMT

For many years we have been keeping a list of the Lego instructions we have to
help prioritise our purchases (ie, buy instructions/sets we don't have first).
Note, instructions do not necessarily mean sets, but close.
Somewhere along the line we added info on the no of pieces  and cost (where
available).
After the Canberra 2003 fires we decided (as part of redoing our insurance), to
include the Lego.
We presented our insurance company with a list of sets/costs. And where the cost
was not known we were able to work out a rough cost by using the average cost of
a piece in the sets we had info on.
They were happy to insure, but stated that in the event of a claim (which I
assurred them that I wished did not happen) they may seek additioanl info,
without saying what.
Keeping receipts is out of the question (much bought second hand or years ago),
so I'm hoping that the list, along with photographs of some of the lego(most is
packed in boxes awaiting space/time), backed up by testimonials from people who
know what we buy, will be sufficent.
Undoubtably under insurred, but if the lego goes, then our house and all
possessions has also and we have bigger worries. If a few sets are stolen, then
we'll just have to discuss with the unsurer.