 Local / Australia / 13093
Re: Battle! (post your armies!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:09:59 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:
Mmmmm... Nice armies. Are those Prussians still sporting those specially
imported katana's?

No no no.  After your gentle historical criticism last time, the Prussians took
the view that while the katanas may have been handily successful, they were
insufficiently traditional.

I gave ‘gentle historical criticism’? Perhaps the historical part, but I doubt
the gentle part!

All gone now:

  http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/arm/arm-007-n.jpg

Cool. I like the ‘charge’ pose on the second rider (however incongruous it is
with the lego horse pose).

However, my historical criticism was perhaps only partly right. While the katana
is not Napoleonic as such, the brikwars effects of the katana might better
simulate the Napoleonic era cavalry sword than those of the piratic cutlass.
They were certainly effective against scattered infantry!

(The cavalry/infantry point value comparison does worry me... my cavalry
always carry two pistols which pushes them to 14 pts, but that's not much of
a premium. All cavalry armies are a definite possibility, particularly when
one considers that cavalry can move further in a turn than a musket or cannon
can fire. In Brikwars, the charge of the light brigade may well have had a
different outcome!).

Indeed, but like the katanas, its not hard to turn one's back on the succesful
strategy in favour of the attractive one, particularly in BrikWars.  And much as
the sight of cavalry charging forward to make mince of massed infantry can be
stirring, it takes ranks of infantry, with every other man firing each turn in
ranks, advancing between volleys, hopelessly and randomly being cut to pieces by
artillery fire, to truly make the blood run swiftly.  Now THAT is BRIKWARS ;-)

Stirring stuff! It nearly brings a tear to my jaded eye.

Hmmm... maybe I should trade some cavalry for a second artillery piece?

Cheers

Richie Dulin