 Local / Australia / 13048
Re: My average set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:54:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.au, David Eaton wrote:
   Dang. It’s so fun to do this stuff on the last day of work before Xmas.

But don’t forget: There’s never a bad time for statistics.

It sounds like the tagline for a kid’s math show that nobody watches :)

   Having calculated the averages. I looked at the dataset and selected the average set. It was the right number of figs, with a very close match on pieces. There was an exact match on pieces, but the figs were out by one.

Alright, that works-- I had to write a program to figure mine out, cuz I’ll be a Timmy’s uncle before I try to find the deviation on each of those categories for each set in the Lugnet guide list :)

   For mine, I took a “guestimage” spread, and divided the deviation from the mean by the breadth of the spread:

Years can vary from 1949 to 2005
MSRP can vary from $0 to $300
Pieces can vary from 0 to 3200
Figs can vary from 0 to 30

There’s a 30 fig set? My largest is 12. (30 must be a Dacta set, right?)

Yep! Or, well, I guess it USED to be strictly Dacta. They’ve offered it through S@H here in the ‘States, so I’m not sure if they still classify it that way...

    9293 Community Workers
178 elements, 30 figures, US$31.50, 1996
DACTA > SYSTEM > Town > Mini-Figures

   Set number can vary from 0 to 11000

There’s a set number 0? (I took absence of a set number to be a null value).

Well, not really, but with a spread of 11000, I didn’t worry much about it-- it was just easier programmatically.

There are admittedly omissions and stuff I don’t have in my list... Like many of the old timey sets that don’t have MSRP’s or a valid release year listed in the Lugnet DB... The prices hopefully wouldn’t affect the average much, but the years might bring my average release year down a touch if they were known...

DaveE