 Local / Australia / 13047
Re: My average set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:31:37 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, David Eaton wrote:
   Dang. It’s so fun to do this stuff on the last day of work before Xmas.

But don’t forget: There’s never a bad time for statistics.

   So, just go get into the truly nerdy stuff, how did you factor in the deviation from the mean? That is, if your average number of pieces is 200, and your average minifig count is 2, then a set that has 203 pieces and 2 figs is MUCH closer than a set that has 200 pieces and 1 fig, since fig counts vary by FAR less than piece counts.

Having calculated the averages. I looked at the dataset and selected the average set. It was the right number of figs, with a very close match on pieces. There was an exact match on pieces, but the figs were out by one.

   For mine, I took a “guestimage” spread, and divided the deviation from the mean by the breadth of the spread:

Years can vary from 1949 to 2005
MSRP can vary from $0 to $300
Pieces can vary from 0 to 3200
Figs can vary from 0 to 30

There’s a 30 fig set? My largest is 12. (30 must be a Dacta set, right?)

   Set number can vary from 0 to 11000

There’s a set number 0? (I took absence of a set number to be a null value).

Cheers

Richie Dulin