 Local / Australia / 10147
Re: hmmmm... What about us?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:59:37 GMT

I'd certainly be interested in collecting a few Swiss Guard too.

What Swiss Guard? When I went to the Vatican, I didn't see any Swiss guards
whatsoever. Security, crowd control etc was provided by a large squad of
way-cool young Italian-looking men in black suits and black sunglasses, all
looking like they were trying out for a role in Men In Black.

I didn't see anyone in lederhosen, yodelling or with an alpenhorn. Having had a
closer encounter with the Swiss Army than I would have liked during one of
their war games, I can say with some certainty that they are dressed in
camouflage gear that allow them to hide in a window box of geraniums (bright
pink and bright green splotches), have bracken in the tops of their helmets and
very large guns that wouldn't seem out of place in Men In Black either.

Note, all Swiss women are legally required to maintain a window box of geranium
each summer in order that their army (all Swiss men) have somewhere to hide in
those outfits. I can only assume that the army have different clothing for
winter warfare, as I think the bright pink and green would be rather noticeable
on a snowy white background.

Kerry