 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 692
Re: New Chrome Castle Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:52:43 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I think you might catch a few more flies with honey than with vinegar or
vitriol. What exactly is your right to this information? I didn't see an
insert in the last set I bought promising that I was going to find out about
everything everywhere that TLC was doing, did you?

Larry, Larry, Larry...

I merely want information about sets currently available elsewhere in the
world --how big a breach of proprietary information is this supposed to be?
Aren't you wildly overstating your case?

Debacle? What debacle?

I think that I am not alone in wanting geography to stop playing a part in set
availability to this AFOL community.  I am not sure I understand why you care
to respond to my comments, or to defend TLC's marketing techniques in this
regard.  And yeah, "debacle" looked like a good word to use in this case...in
some contexts it means "A total, often ludicrous failure."  I think a lot of
people are unhappy about the geographically specific set situation -- so yes,
it's a failure as a marketing technique to my eyes.

And I suppose you want all the Kabaya sets released worldwide as well

Not me, but I bet some do.  Why not try to please as many as possible?  It
would take so little for them to accomplish so much in terms of our good
will.  As it is, I bear them no ill will -- I just cannot fathom why they
would sell certain items as geographically specific.  The new chromed castle
series isn't even a promotional series as far as I can see -- at the moment
they are merely available ONLY in Germany.  Will this situation stand?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Do you get some special kick buying Lego from abroad, Larry?  I know that you
travel a lot, so maybe this works for you.  I cannot be paid to travel -- I
just won't do it.  So this works less well for me.  Is that okay with you?

Or is your objection that you bought a small cache of these sets in your
travels hoping to cash in on North American demand for "rare", Europe only
sets?  Get thee to eBay, Larry! Are you this transparent?

Or is it that you think we should get a special channel? How much are you
willing to pay to get them?

As to the former: sure, why not? -- They undoubtedly want to use us as a
marketing channel (otherwise Brad wouldn't even be here), we should get some
benefit from them doing so.

As to the latter: I dunno, how about $5 a set (like my pal in Germany
recommended as his price to me should I want to purchase these sets via his
gracious offer)?

Point being: can I get the chromed sets? Yes.  Can everyone else?  I dunno.
Could TLC help?  I expect they can.  Why don't they?  I suppose you are going
to give me some nonsense about cost/benefit (but not all good business
transactions work entirely on this basis alone).  And while not being
Australian, I am sympathetic to many of their concerns as AFOL.  I don't have
to be personally effected by TLC's stupidity to want things to change anyway...

You mystify me, Larry.  Continually. What is your obsession with money?  Did I
mention money?  Did I say I couldn't get the sets?  I was just responding to a
desire I think TLC (through Lego Direct) can easily fulfill.  Why should I
trouble my German connection to do for me what TLC should be doing for me
instead? Maybe if Brad announces a U.S. release date, the whole matter will
become instantly moot (or so I hope...).

What is your objection to this in less polemical language? Or is that your
whole point?  You're so cute...!

XOXOXO,

Richard (groping about in Larry's deep pockets)