 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 691
Re: bulk should mean more than 10
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:35:17 GMT

Eric McCarthy wrote:

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

Bulk means different things to different people.  Unless one is embarking on
an ambitious project involving hundreds of windows, 10, or a multiple
thereof, would sufficient for most of us I would think!!

The problem is that there is an overhead cost that is probably
very close to the same whether the pack has 10 or 100 windows.
I'm guessing that this overhead cost is a large proportion
of the $4.99 that 10 windows cost, and that TLC could
sell packs of 100 (or 1000, or 10,000) for $0.50 or less
per window.

/Eric McC/

Yes, but overhead is just the problem.  Since few people need 50
windows, they wouldn't sell many sets, and the overhead of creating and
advertising the package would be divided among fewer sets.  There are
definite diminishing returns, here.  Realistically, if they could offer
a discount when selling 50 windows, they could offer the same discount
if you bought 5 or more 10-packs.  It's down to their pricing model.

I agree that the windows, doors, etc., are pricey, and that Lego may
need to take a closer look at the cost-versus-demand curve if they want
to make a greater profit.

Jeff