 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 694
Re: New Chrome Castle Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:56:32 GMT

Someone just wrote me an email, containing the following and other statements,
my reply follows that writer's statement:
<<but you tend to come across as very upset and incoherent much of the time. >>

I enjoy writing in a rhetorical style that makes an appeal to the emotions
(pathos), but isn't "incoherent" unfair?  I mean, maybe my writing suffers a
little from conversational grammar and the odd misspelling -- but I am not
sure it can properly be described as incoherent. As a rule?  Probably not. On
the other hand, I can see where certain persons might not like my chosen mode
of expression.  That's okay -- everyone has to like and dislike things in the
manner they see fit to do so. I think my writing operates on multiple levels --
often as dense in its richness as poetry (!!!). In the context of the thread
that prompted your response, I was both responding to comments made elsewhere
by other AFOLs on Lugnet AND making an original post on the subject.  It was
not an entirely isolated statement.  Even so, I think my post presented
background information and specific questions in a systematic, relevant, and
consistent manner.

BTW,  I have an English degree from one of the most respected universities in
North America AND I graduated with high honors -- not that such an appeal to
authority has to mean anything to you or to anyone else.  I think I am just
trying to suggest that my use and abuse of the language is often intentional
(although I rarely spell-check -- everyone has their idiosyncrasies).

Perhaps I am not actually "outraged" about not being able to obtain these "4
piddly little Lego sets" in North America; but I do think many Lugnuts would
prefer to be kept in the loop as regards set release information -- especially
if they are about to make trades with persons abroad for certain sets at a
time when TLC may itself be on the threshold of releasing the very same sets
internationally and thus vitiate the need for anyone to make deals with
persons in other countries.

Did you miss the whole Target/SW2001sets/leaked info thread?  I happen not to
care about SW, but castle I WANT to know about...and these sets are currently
available in Germany.  Again, what is the big deal?  Surely my asking about
these sets hurts no one.  Brad may even choose to ignore my post -- that would
be his right to do so.  As to the question of politeness: I am not sure why
everyone thinks Brad has to be treated SO deferentially, and I don't think I
was particularly rude.  I was brief and to the point.  I wanted information --
he is in a position to give me this information.

And if you think you I am overreacting and taking my Lego fun far too
seriously, why are you writing to me at all?  Why waste YOUR valuable time?  I
can just rant away in silence -- if that's all I am doing...?

What's the hubbub, Bub?

-- Richard