 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 646
Re: So where is Brad's answer to the 2001 info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 02:19:42 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Koeberl writes:
Brad Justus wrote:
snip....

Finally, Tom – and others who have made the same observation – you’re
absolutely correct that our participation here has not been as promised. The
blame for this lies entirely with me, and I will make no excuses. I will
simply have to let our actions going forward (from this moment on) • demonstrate
our commitment to you and all LEGO enthusiasts everywhere.

Here’s a promise: I’ll be posting by the end of this week. And it’ll be news
that I think everyone is looking forward to.

Until then … Play Well.

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct

In a perfect world, the posting would be for a complete parts reference
guide AND a way to bulk order any part in any color. Even if it isn't this
fall, knowing it's coming would be nice. :)

That [any part in any color] will never happen (at least not with current
technology). Well, it could happen if you wanted enough of the part (once they
really get this going, it should be possible for someone who is willing to
order whatever minimum size run they have to justify making the run). Another
block to ANY part is that I'm sure there are some parts for which a mold no
longer exists (hopefully this list is small, but we have no way of knowing
[and TLC may not know either]).

What we can hope for is to be able to order:

- Any part in current production in the color(s) it is used in current
production.

- Any part for which TLC is able to establish sufficient demand to justify a
special run.

- Any part special ordered by the model shops (but that may be a one time run,
in which case TLC will collect a bunch of orders, and then produce the part,
if they see value to having some inventory of that part, they may produce
extra for inventory, but such inventory will be limited to what was left over
from pre-orders).

I doubt you'll be able to order pirate ship hull parts, unless they come back
to production, I suspect they won't be able to establish sufficient demand
otherwise. I doubt you'll be able to order classic windows other than 1x2x2
(but we can hope - there may be enough demand). I sincerely hope we'll be able
to order bricks and plates (and perhaps a few things like slopes) in almost
any color (though probably only in colors for which a reasonable selection of
parts already exists, thus I wouldn't expect to see the full spectrum of Scala
colors available).

Look into some of the previous discussion for other discussion along these
lines (yes, I think this one is a dead horse).

FUT: lugnet.dear-lego

Frank