 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 637
Re: So where is Brad's answer to the 2001 info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:27:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
If, in the future, someone posts objectionable sensitive information:

1.  Write the person(s) via private e-mail and politely ask them to
voluntarily cancel their post(s), and offering, of course, an explanation.

2.  If that doesn't produce results within a reasonable amount of time, write
them back with a formal legal request to voluntaily cancel it.

3.  If that doesn't produce results within a reasonable amount of time, post
a public statement noting the objection and requiring that objectionable
information be forcibly expunged from the system.  Also send a copy of this
via email to system the admin (me).  Note:  Any private e-mail received which
differs from a public message will be posted publicly as part of the paper
trail.  If the e-mail contains a request not to post the message publicly,
either please don't send it, or expect it to be disregarded.

4.  If that still doesn't produce results within a reasonable amount of time,
make a phone call.

5.  If that still doesn't produce results, threaten legal action.

I have some questions and comments on the above:

- Is the above sequence to be followed when someone posts or causes to be
posted an individuals personal information (such as address - see the VLC
meeting location incident for an example)?

- Are you sure you want to force public posting of all the reasoning? Are you
going to in some cases force someone to skip the above sequence and go
straight to the courts and ask for a gag order?

- I would STRONGLY reccomend getting a lawyer involved in examining these
policies. I think you may be setting yourself up for a problem. Note that
Lugnet is not a public resource like RTL.

- What is a "reasonable" amount of time? I would argue that for many things, a
"reasonable" amount of time does not allow the above sequence to be followed
given the speed at which information can propagate electronically.

Just some thoughts of mine.
Frank