 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 641
Re: So where is Brad's answer to the 2001 info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:41:22 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:
Sorry I missed the part about being suggestions to TLC. I do still see some
problem with #3. I'm not sure what all the ramifications of publishing a
private communication when public communication has been made.

I'd better check on that.  As far as I'm aware, it's not illegal to publish
a private communication, just rude (assuming it doesn't contain any sensitive
information, of course).

I think your goal here is to make it clear that TLC isn't exerting any
backhanded pressure on you (by requiring them to be up front about their
request).

Yes, for CYA reasons and out of respect for the community.

I do still see possibility that they might want to communicate more detail
to you in private than they want to detail publicly.

I have no problem with more details as long as they're vague and they don't
give me any sensitive information.  I don't ever want to be told anything that
I'm not supposed to share, unless I've signed an NDA.  I like things done or
said publicly, if at all possible.  If it's not possible, and it doesn't
apply to me directly, I don't want to hear it.  For example, I heard something
from Brad at our FTF meeting in July which he didn't ask me not to share but
which I know that if I did share, would probably make a certain person in the
community look bad for not having shared it already himself, given its deeper
implications.  I really wish I hadn't heard it.  I hope that makes sense.

If you are going to
force them to say everything publicly, you may be more likely to force
them to court action.

No, I certainly don't want to make LEGO feel that their hand is being forced.
I hope they voluntarily choose to go about things more openly in the future.
Not being given permission to post a copy of a private email which embodied
a formal legal request to remove other peoples' posts is a thorn in my side,
to be sure, but I suppose in the final analysis, it's part of my "job" to
endure thorns like that from time to time.

To construct an example, lets say I was going to hold a meeting at my mom's
house, and asked people to e-mail me for directions or somesuch. Then someone
posts the directions, and for urgency, I decide to post publicly "please do
not propagate the directions to our meeting place." I also at the same time
send e-mail to you explaining that I need to have the directions removed
because my mom values her privacy, including the privacy to not have her
address publicly announced. I am providing this extra detail to you to clarify
the request so you can understand the seriousness (i.e. were not just dealing
with MY privacy, but someone else's who isn't even connected with Lugnet). If
you post this e-mail publicly, you are creating an additional violation of my
mom's privacy.

No no no no no, I wouldn't do that.  And I don't think anyone would fault you
for requiring removal privately.  LEGO is a very special case.  They should be
held to stricter standards.  If I removed something at your request based on
violation-of-privacy grounds, I would make it clear that's why the message was
removed, but I wouldn't post a copy of your message.  Again, the list I posted
for Brad was suggestions for Brad/LEGO, not site policy for LUGNET.

[...]  (i.e. if you intend #3 to ONLY be how you handle
TLC communications, and any other communications will be dealt with on their
own merits, then that's cool, perhaps this is indeed what you intended since
there is significance to your wanting to make it clear just what TLC is
requesting of you in these situations).

Yes, that's it in a nutshell.

However, with all of this said, I still strongly reccomend you seek counsel
from a lawyer. It is clear that you will continually have to deal with
situations where innapropriate material gets posted, and that you will have
to respond to direct requests to remove that material. If you don't handle
these requests consistently, that is where you will really open yourself up
to lawsuits.

Hmm.  Good points.

--Todd