 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 654
Re: So where is Brad's answer to the 2001 info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:35:56 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Koeberl writes:

I spend more on new store-bought sets than those old sets on Ebay, but I
should explain in detail. I buy the new sets when they are on sale or deep
discount. (judging from the shelves, S@H will be offering Town Jr. and Rock
Raider sets for weeks and weeks just like the Technic Spider Slayer theme.)
More often than not, I buy them for parts that fit into a Blacktron I theme.
Except for a couple SW sets, I won't pay full price.

But I will pay way over original price for Blacktron I sets on Ebay. Unlike
many of the new sets, Blacktron I is worth it.

I guess my feeling is if the 2001 sets are good sets at good values, letting
expectation rise would be a good thing. If they aren't reasonably priced and
interesting, they'll sit on the shelves until clearenced and then parted out
to contribute to personal creations of old themes.

Well, I'm fairly certain that it doesn't matter much to Lego (in the short
term anyway) if you pay full retail price at Wal-Mart or wait for WM to drop
them to 50% off to clear them off the shelf.  Wal-Mart paid for the sets up
front, so the only company taking the hit during that go-round is WM, not Lego.

Now you can maybe guess that over the long term, having sets clearanced out at
half off might make WM buy less the next year, but I'm not sure if I've
noticed that or not.