 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 643
Re: So where is Brad's answer to the 2001 info?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 00:54:29 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
<snip lots of stuff about communication and 2001 set stuff.  I will wait and
let your actions speek for themselves before getting more critical than I have
been.>

We’re aware of the situation with the Builder’s Gallery and Theme Gallery on
LEGO.com as well; steps are being taken to address the current images at
issue. As you might imagine, it’s difficult to ensure certainty that the
person who submits an image of a creation is indeed submitting his or her own
work. There’s no sure way of doing this. It’s absolutely objectionable if
someone is representing another person’s work as his own (particularly for
LEGO, as  a company which prizes imagination and creativity.) But we’re now in
the final stages of revamping LEGO.com, and we’ll soon change the Builder’s
and Theme galleries as well – so it’s a great time to implement some
corrective measures. If you’ve got suggestions on ensuring “truth in
advertising” when it comes to sending in news of your LEGO creations, please
let me know. (We’re thinking of requiring multiple pictures of a creation, as
well as a picture of the builder with his/her creation.)

As for this I think it is something very hard to police.  With affordable image
editing software as good as it is no matter what you do people will probably
still try and steal pictures.  (I personally don't see the point.  What is the
point of stealling a LEGO picture to post in the Theme galary?  Doesn't seem
worth it to me.)

Multiple pictures won't work because most of us post multiple pictures of our
creations on the web when we post them anyway.

Including a picture of the creater in the picture might be better but then you
get into hosting pictures of Minors (for the most part) and I have no idea what
the legal ramifications of that would be.  Even if you got around any legal
problems it is to easy to crop and edit pictures no adays to be effective.

One thing to do would be for LEGO not to host the pictures and only have people
submit their personal Web sites, alla CLSotW.  Althought that becomes
exlusionary for many so also probably a bad idea in that some kids don't know
how to manage a web site (although you would be supprised how many do).

Submiting actual pictures by snail-mail is another option but not very
efficiant.

I guess I am saying I don't know how you fix your problem.  Your current system
and the fact that it is easy to have multiple ID's makes it nearly impossible
to manage.  Maybe the new site you talk about will be better and have better
security which would help some because then your statement about removal from
the system would hold weight.

You might want to consider some fan help in sorting through pictures too.

Anyway I think that you need a radical change in the way things are run in the
gallaries and I will leave that to you.  I personally only check the gallary
when someone posts about it here but if I found one of my creations listed
there believe me you would hear about it.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: