 General / 6554
Re: The Ruthlessness of Lego was (Re: Spare Parts Service - How it works)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:01:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Harrison <harro1@one.net.au> writes:
Hi Sanjay,

Does that mean that all the pieces from the model room at Lego NZ will be
transfered to Australia or will they just dump them?

That's what Lego Australia did when they moved from large premises to
their current smaller premises. Tonnes of lego was either crushed, shredded
or securely buried as there was nowhere to store it and it was found to be
to much of a hassle to sell it off to the public. This all happened about
1 month before I had any contact with lego. The lego that was destroyed
represented the accummulation of 25 years of returned sets, shopping centre
displays, extra copies of instructions and anything deemed to be useless by
the storeman who I later found out has no interest in lego whatsoever. This
included baseplates, monorail track, 4.5V and 12V motors and internal
electrical components (you could buy the internal german made motor for train
motors). Hell, think about it, how much lego weighs a tonne, how much lego
will fit into an industrial waste bin. All I know is that if I had been in
contact with the people I know now at lego six weeks before I actually first
contacted them, I'd have a couple of tonnes of lego stored in my garage and
would be spending the next two lifetimes going thru it.

Its depressing just typing this again.

Mark H.

            ,
Legocide!  :-(
            '

Mark, I know exactly how you must feel.  Ruthlessness doesn't even begin to
capture the levels of corporate mental retardation required to carry out an
action so abominable.

However, for what it's worth, I can assure people that there are factions in
power within TLG who understand that the destruction of historical materials
and collector's items is viewed by the fan community at large as completely
unacceptable, and that not every division of TLG is always this ruthless.

Hopefully, over time, as adult LEGO enthusiasts continue to aggregate and
become more conspicuous, TLG will adopt smarter policies.  Until then, it's
only a matter of time before more stories like Mark's surface and
potentially result in negative PR.

Assuming they didn't want to attract attention regarding the closing of
their facilities, how difficult would it have been for TLG to quietly donate
the sets to local schools?

--Todd

[crossposted to lugnet.dear-lego]