 General / 6779
Re: The Ruthlessness of Lego was (Re: Spare Parts Service - How it works)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:01:35 GMT

I'm not sure if Steve is serious about this but my replies given below.

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:45:45 GMT, "Sanjay D'Souza" <sds87@hotmail.com>
If Sanjay really wants to follow up on this, I'd recommend:

1) Sanjay approaches the spm with the idea, finding out (a) how much TLG
would want for the lot of everything and (b) the estimated volume or mass.
Hopefully, the total charge would be staggering. :)

I'll find out how much the spm thinks his spare parts are worth and the
mass.  I took pictures of the LEGO NZ and the spare parts area on my visit
in Feburary but wasn't allowed to display them at the time.  I'll post them
on my site when I return to Wellington.

2) Figure out if (a) divided by (b) is a reasonable figure.  Factor in • that
we don't know what the pieces are and we don't know how well-sorted the
pieces are.  And we'd have to pay for hauling the stuff off of TLG
property.

Ummmm...the key word is pay  ;-)     My meagre LEGO budget has been "shot to
pieces" till the year 2154.

3) Collect money from people.  Keep track, because the money collected
would be used as credit against purchases from the lot.

Sort of like "Save the LEGO" fund.  Who'd manage it?  I'm stuck in Auckland
till the 27/8 on work committments so count me out.

4) Inventory the haul, by piece/color.  Record the volume or weight, not
the number of pieces.

This is one task I'd love to do if I had the time.  There are some great
pieces in there not to mention a huge variety of very old and hard to get
pieces.

5) Advertise, and sell it by the pound.  Mark it up enough to reward the
people doing the work.

You may have to set up a company to do this because there would certainly be
a LOT of work involved.

--
It's a good thing I *don't* live in NZ.  My wife would kill me for even
thinking about this.

I've paid a number of visits to LEGO NZ and I have a hard time restraining
myself from trying to buy as many pieces as I can.

In all likelihood LEGO NZ will say no as the managers there apparently
aren't the type to think outside the square.  But it's fun to think about it
nonetheless.

Sanjay