 General / 6793
Re: Spare Lego for us (Re: The Ruthlessness of Lego was (Re: Spare Parts Service - How it works))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
Just spoken to the spm.  His gut feeling is somewhere in the region of
US$4000 to $5000 BUT he reckons the managers' (who although consider the
whole lot to be a plastic junk) would value the spare parts much, much
higher.  How much higher I don't know.

Wow.  That's much lower than we were expecting...  Marcia and I could probably
swing several hundred dollars for it.  (Rent - what rent?)

If (and that's a very big if) I were able to swing a good deal and have the
financial backing of the Bank of Pieniazek and others (1) where in the world
would I put the stuff?

If there aren't enough people in New Zealand to split it up by weight, it
should all be shipped en masse to a more Lego-fan-populated area.  There are
several US cities with multiple AFOLs that could do the work.  (Knoxville, for
instance, with three regular Lugnet posters and several lurkers. ;-))  We could
probably divide it up in our living room.

I'm happy to do the dealing (the free lunch I'm offering the spm and his
wife this weekend should be a good bargining tool (2) ) but I'm not prepared
to store the stuff once it's paid for and being sorted.  Any ideas?

As far as sorting goes, I'm not sure if sorting by parts would be realistic -
unless Larry decides to just buy it all for himself, and sell off what he
doesn't want.  Otherwise it should just be split up randomly by weight, and
then the individuals who bought a chunk of it could start swapping pieces as
desired.  (This just sounds like tons of fun!)

Sanjay

Naji