 General / 6824
Re: Spare Lego for us (Re: The Ruthlessness of Lego was (Re: Spare Parts Service - How it works))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:39:21 GMT

Sanjay D'Souza wrote:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:37:01 GMT, "Naji Norder" <n.norder@computer.org>
wrote:

As far as sorting goes, I'm not sure if sorting by parts would be • realistic -

It's likely the parts are already (mostly) sorted, with each part having
its own bin. Or case, depending on the quantity.

This is how much of it is sorted although in much smaller quantities than
many people imagine.  Remember LEGO NZ is a much, much smaller operation
than Enfield because the NZ market isn't large.

For instance the number of minifigs in the collection would only total about
150 - 200 BUT many of the minifigs in that collection are very old and very
hard to find nowadays.

Therefore it can reasonably be concluded that while the number of spare
parts isn't huge, there is CERTAINLY gold (1) in amongst that collection.

Other items I found in small (read  7 - 15) quantites included:

- Cargo doors from 4558
- Pieces for Town System garage doors
- Pre cast lamp posts
- 7 stud runway plates
- Grey windows from Century Gateway

And many, many, many, many other items of value.  During my visits to LEGO
NZ I only focussed on Town system pieces but I imagine that Castle, Space,
Pirate and other themes are catered for in the collection.

This would be in addition to the larger quanities of more basic System and
Technic bricks the spm has on site.  In addition to this there would in all
likelihood be the following items as well.

- Instructions for sets.
- Mostly complete sets still in boxes.
- Roadplates
- LEGO drawers (used to be sold in the early 90's)

we're likely talking about, that level of detail isn't reasonable.  Except
for rare and/or valuable parts.  So I'd suggest selling by the pound or
quart (or kilogram or liter

Dividing up the valuable parts will be the key point.  While there is
without doubt a big range of hard to find pieces, their quanities are
limited.

Sanjay

(1)  Not real gold of course but LEGO pieces considered of high value.

there in all likelyhood could be some lego gold,though...

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com