 General / 6637
Re: The Ruthlessness of Lego was (Re: Spare Parts Service - How it works)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:41:39 GMT

ARRRGHHHH!!!!

This is the awful story that Mark told me many months ago.  Think of all the Classic
Windows that went into the shredder!!!  Sigh........

Gary Istok

Mark Harrison wrote:

Hi Sanjay,

Does that mean that all the pieces from the model room at Lego NZ will be
transfered to Australia or will they just dump them?

That's what Lego Australia did when they moved from large premises to their
current smaller premises. Tonnes of lego was either crushed, shredded or
securely buried as there was nowhere to store it and it was found to be to much
of a hassle to sell it off to the public. This all happened about 1 month before
I had any contact with lego. The lego that was destroyed represented the
accummulation of 25 years of returned sets, shopping centre displays, extra
copies of instructions and anything deemed to be useless by the storeman who I
later found out has no interest in lego whatsoever. This included baseplates,
monorail track, 4.5V and 12V motors and internal electrical components (you
could buy the internal german made motor for train motors). Hell, think about
it, how much lego weighs a tonne, how much lego will fit into an industrial
waste bin. All I know is that if I had been in contact with the people I know
now at lego six weeks before I actually first contacted them, I'd have a couple
of tonnes of lego stored in my garage and would be spending the next two
lifetimes going thru it.

Its depressing just typing this again.

Mark H.

Sanjay D'Souza wrote:

--Parts on hand--

Alternatively the spm the piece in stock.  The Spare Parts Manager at LEGO
NZ had a stock of pieces that he had accumulated during the 3 years that he
was in the position.  This consisted of shelves which were jam packed with
old sets, instructions, and draws full of old pieces sorted by type.  He
also had another area he was setting up to better organise the many pieces
he had.  Being a small time operation he didn't have a large number of spare
parts but he had a large variety.

Sanjay
--
LEGO Stadium @ Http://Homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jsds