 General / 53081
Re: Nothing to say?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:42:52 GMT

Hi Andy,

Firstly I'd like to say that I think you and I got off on the wrong foot and I'd
like to apologise for that. Looking through these comments here I see I
misjudged you and I think you misinterpreted my rudely-phrased comment slightly.

8. Weeding through In-fighting at lugnet is a turn off.

I just don't understand this. Most of the in-fighting goes on away from the
models.

I used to look at recent posts to enjoy the gamut of LugNet. When in-fighting
occured, the "Noise-to-MOC" ratio was 10:1 as everybody angrily came out of the
woodwork.

Which is actually one reason I felt compelled to start this thread. I got sick
of people jumping in to flamewars to complain about the noise-to-MOC ratio
without actually contributing to increasing the MOC ratio (or comments thereon)
and only contributing to the noise (by their very comments complaining about
it).

9. "Constructive/Tactful Criticism" is all too easily taken as flame bait.

I've never noticed this to be a problem and the few times I've seen it occur
have stuck in my memory. If, however,  by "Constructive/Tactful Criticism" you
mean the sort of review you make on CSF then I'm not at all surprised it's taken
that way.

Yes, hopefully I can post ideas that won't be taken that way. At least LugNet
posters are more reserved about their comments. CSF has an elitist reputation
with comments like "Why did you waste your and our time with this?"

Well, CSF has a comment style I don't particularly like and while I'm happy to
play the game I personally prefer the Lugnet style. I think overall it is more
constructive although I do see the CSF point on occassions.

10. There is no great "MOC Rating" system out there, and Lugnet is not set up to
be a "Ratings" site.

If MOCpages is anything to go by they mainly measure the
popularity of your theme and the ratio of friends to enemies you've made amongst
the teenagers there.

I too wish for a more objective rating. If only BrickShelf or MocPages had a
search for folders most visited by Month and Year. As it is, we only have
"Greatest Hits" which only becomes self aggrandizement of the past greatest
MOCs.

Even the BS greatest hits (whilst being overly self-fulfilling) is better than
MOCpages reviews. Quite honestly I like the system here. You can Spotlight or
Highlight something you like but if you don't like something you have to take
the time to respond. It encourages people to think before being negative.

11. I only vist lugnet for the "Highlights".
Which basically means you take without giving in exchange.

No, my MOCs are not particularly worthy of giving lugnet. I learned that long
ago. Although my opinions are not as credible as a seasoned veteran like you,
why should that instantly discredit those? I try to post to add to a discussion
which thanks to you has happened.

This is why I think you misunderstood me. I considered your reviews to be not
terribly polite (I still do) but I think you may have just been trying to post
in the CSF-style. My response was meant more along the lines of "If you build
really well you can afford to be rude" than suggesting your point wasn't valid.

That is a reason that Lugnet has less MOC responses. Lugnet gets mostly MOC
announcements from Great Builders. Like others, I refrain from cluttering up
forums with one line "Awesome MOC!!!" posts. That is MocPages' job.

Well please do. You don't have to be a Great Builder to comment and everyone has
their own thoughts and ideas about things. The one thing that you should be
careful of if your technical skills aren't as advanced is making demands of a
technical nature without explaining how they can be done.

Thanks for the discussion,
Andy

You too,

Tim