 General / 53058
Re: Nothing to say?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:43:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:

I still don't think it should be this way. It's not so hard to focus on what is
good in an otherwise mediocre model. I've also noticed that MOCs have to also be
photographed well these days to get much response... that makes it even more
difficult for newcomers.

It makes it difficult for anyone.  This is precisely why I don't tend to post on
some of the more specialized forums.  I'll be the first to admit that my
photography skills needs help, and that the lighting where I generally take
photos isn't the greatest.  I don't post for photography tips though, I post for
building tips.

A quick rating or spotlighting is nice, but doesn't really give you an idea of
what people liked about a MOC.  I had a MOC last week that was spotlighted and
showed up on the front page for days.  There were no comments.  I even saw it
posted on another site, again with no comments.  So, my assumption is that
people liked it, but I had no idea what people liked about it.

Of course, I'm bad too.  There have been some really great MOCs posted lately,
and I haven't made the time to sit down and say why I think they are really
great.  Then again, I didn't have the time to spotlight them either.

I know for me, time is a huge factor.  With all of the scattered forums for
various themes, I spend more time reading than posting.  I used to be able to
sit down in the evening, read through LUGENT, and see lots of creations from
lots of different themes.  To do that now, I need to sit down and visit four or
five or six different websites.  It doesn't seem like it should take that much
more time, but for some reason it does.

I think I'll make a rule for myself to comment on at least one MOC a night.

-Elroy