 General / 49089
Re: Rarest Regular Lego Part....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:37:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bill Vollbrecht wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bryan Wong wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bill Vollbrecht wrote:
Sorry to burst the bubble, but there was never a special red-orange color used
(or exists) for the Golden Gate Bridge. It is in fact regular red. The Legoland
modelshops do have lots of rare bricks that have never been available to the
public, but they are ALL bricks that have been in sets, and they are ALL regular
Lego colors. The only difference being (albeit a big one) is they will have
bricks produced in true Lego colors that they have not ever been made in those
colors before. That, and they can make LOTS of them!

So I just want to clarify:

1) The PARTS in LEGOLAND Model shops have all appeared in sets before (so they
don't have any 1x5 plates)

Yes, there are a lot of bricks we would of loved to have invented, but
unfortunately it doesn't happen. All regular bricks are from the same molds that
produce the bricks for sets.

2) Some of these parts may be in colours that have NOT appeared in sets before.

Correct?

Yes, correct again. All the colors are colors that are regular LEGO colors (the
official pallet had something like 78 colors when I was there). But you could,
for a fee, have a brick molded in a color that it had not appeared in before.
Like a clear jumper, or a Maersk blue 2x2 round. But you couldn't make up new
colors as you like.

The misconception of the special red-orange color is one of MANY factual errors
in the DK Ultimate Lego Book. It was pretty funny really. All of us in the
modelshop own the book (and a few of my friends are in it). But we would go
through it and find all sorts of mistakes. Great book, but the editor must of
been asleep at his desk. Maybe there wasn't the great need for acuacy since most
"regular" people wouldn't know the difference one way or the other!

So what other mistakes are in the book?  It would be nice for someone to come up
with a "bloopers" list for the DK Ultimate Lego Book.  :)

I suppose if enough people were interested, I could go through the book and
document all of the ones I know and post it here on Lugnet. Would be a while, I
have a couple of projects I am working right now that is dominating my time!

Bill Vollbrecht
Official Paraiha of the spltc

Thanks for the info Bill!

I'll make that task a little easier, and just go over the more obvious errors in
the Lego Timeline on pages 12-23.

Page 13:

1955 First Lego trees.  Yes that may have been the year, but the trees shown are
those from the 60's, not 1955.

1955 Town Plan Line:  Yes that is KKK in the Town Plan picture, but this is not
a 1955 Town Plan scene.  The Town Plan board is the 1960-66 board, not the one
from the mid 50's.  And they didn't have sloped bricks and classic windows/doors
in 1955.  The cars/trucks and trees/bushes are accurate for 1955 however.

Page 14:

1957 First Lego windows.  Wrong!  Windows were produced since Lego first
started, but they were the old archaic type that used to fit between the slots
or indented areas at the edges of the old slotted bricks.  Even "THE WORLD OF
LEGO TOYS" got this one wrong.  They said that the slots were for flexibility.
Wrong!  They were for the windows.  These old windows are not compatible with
the Lego of 1957-present.  1957 was the first year that the new classic windows
were produced that fit onto the studs of bricks.

1962 First Wheel, the picture of the various wheels at the bottom of the page
should show gray tires, not black ones.  Black ones were first introduced about
1968-69.

Page 15:

1962 First 1/3 elements.  Wrong!  The 2x8, 4x8, 4x8 (right or left curve) and
6x8 white "waffle bottom" plates were 1/3 elements that were produced since
1955.  Small plates were first introduced in 1962 (as well as the start of the
discontinuing of the waffle bottom plates, a process that was not completed in
the USA until 1970!).

Page 16:

1970 First Cog Wheel.  Wrong!  The first cog wheels were those introduced in
USA/Canada under Samsonite Lego in 1965.  These were still in production in 1970
when the European versions (not compatible with the Samsonite cogs) came out.
The Samsonite cogs were designed to be attachable to Lego wheels and turntables.
The European cogs were designed to be used with axles.

Page 23:

1998 First Beige (Tan) bricks.  I saw these for the first time in a company
traveling display model (at a Michigan KMART store) of the Brussels Belgium
medieval gothic Town Hall.  It was made of these "beige" bricks, along with dark
gray bricks.  The year was 1987!

Oh, and you know that picture of the 3 very old Lego sets on page 13 (with KKK
on the box tops), which is also shown larger and in greater detail in THE WORLD
OF LEGO TOYS.  I could go into a 2 page analysis of all the anomalies found in
that one picture alone.

Gary Istok

P.S.  Larry P. could you please EMAIL me with your actual EMAIL ID.  I've been
trying to contact you about 4 times (since June), but the EMAILs keeps coming
back as undeliverable.