 General / 49086
Re: Rarest Regular Lego Part....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:09:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Wong wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bill Vollbrecht wrote:
Sorry to burst the bubble, but there was never a special red-orange color used
(or exists) for the Golden Gate Bridge. It is in fact regular red. The Legoland
modelshops do have lots of rare bricks that have never been available to the
public, but they are ALL bricks that have been in sets, and they are ALL regular
Lego colors. The only difference being (albeit a big one) is they will have
bricks produced in true Lego colors that they have not ever been made in those
colors before. That, and they can make LOTS of them!

So I just want to clarify:

1) The PARTS in LEGOLAND Model shops have all appeared in sets before (so they
don't have any 1x5 plates)

Yes, there are a lot of bricks we would of loved to have invented, but
unfortunately it doesn't happen. All regular bricks are from the same molds that
produce the bricks for sets.

2) Some of these parts may be in colours that have NOT appeared in sets before.

Correct?

Yes, correct again. All the colors are colors that are regular LEGO colors (the
official pallet had something like 78 colors when I was there). But you could,
for a fee, have a brick molded in a color that it had not appeared in before.
Like a clear jumper, or a Maersk blue 2x2 round. But you couldn't make up new
colors as you like.

The misconception of the special red-orange color is one of MANY factual errors
in the DK Ultimate Lego Book. It was pretty funny really. All of us in the
modelshop own the book (and a few of my friends are in it). But we would go
through it and find all sorts of mistakes. Great book, but the editor must of
been asleep at his desk. Maybe there wasn't the great need for acuacy since most
"regular" people wouldn't know the difference one way or the other!

So what other mistakes are in the book?  It would be nice for someone to come up
with a "bloopers" list for the DK Ultimate Lego Book.  :)

I suppose if enough people were interested, I could go through the book and
document all of the ones I know and post it here on Lugnet. Would be a while, I
have a couple of projects I am working right now that is dominating my time!

Bill Vollbrecht
Official Paraiha of the spltc