 General / 49085
Re: Rarest Regular Lego Part....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:52:41 GMT

"Bryan Wong" <green_paper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:I4CnKx.1Ey@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Bill Vollbrecht wrote:
Sorry to burst the bubble, but there was never a special red-orange color
used
(or exists) for the Golden Gate Bridge. It is in fact regular red. The
Legoland
modelshops do have lots of rare bricks that have never been available to
the
public, but they are ALL bricks that have been in sets, and they are ALL
regular
Lego colors. The only difference being (albeit a big one) is they will
have
bricks produced in true Lego colors that they have not ever been made in
those
colors before. That, and they can make LOTS of them!

So I just want to clarify:

1) The PARTS in LEGOLAND Model shops have all appeared in sets before (so
they
don't have any 1x5 plates)

Yep - the parks aren't able to have molds made up of parts that don't exist,
it would be too expensive. Part of the marketing of miniland is that it is
all made from regular LEGO that anyone can buy (although the part/color
combinations may not have been released to retail)
The parks may have some old items that are no longer in production, but this
tends to be old carryover stock.

2) Some of these parts may be in colours that have NOT appeared in sets
before.

Correct?

Yep - if you ever saw the brick warehouse at a Legoland park, it would make
you weep! Most of the popular pieces are carried in Red, Yellow, Blue,
White, Tan, Green, Brown, Black, Dark and Light Grays. Some items in other
colors are there as well - such as the Maersk blues, trans colors, sand
green, purple and other newer colors. For more unusual colors, the items
tend to be ordered as needed and spares are stocked in case of repairs.

The misconception of the special red-orange color is one of MANY factual
errors
in the DK Ultimate Lego Book. It was pretty funny really. All of us in
the
modelshop own the book (and a few of my friends are in it). But we would
go
through it and find all sorts of mistakes. Great book, but the editor
must of
been asleep at his desk. Maybe there wasn't the great need for acuacy
since most
"regular" people wouldn't know the difference one way or the other!

So what other mistakes are in the book?  It would be nice for someone to
come up
with a "bloopers" list for the DK Ultimate Lego Book.  :)

One I noticed is a photo of a LEGO fruit bowl. The caption mentions a worm
in the apple, but actually doesn't point to the worm, rather to the apple
stalk

Richard.