 General / 49147
Re: Rarest Regular Lego Part....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:57:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
1) rare discontinued items
2) rare items where the molds still exist
3) promotional items
4) prototype items or items never officially released

Yep. I'd personally consider only elements that have been released to the public
as "officially rare". Otherwise you'll go nuts trying to track down promo and
prototype pieces, as well as the daunting unreleased color-combo pieces.

Hmm...

I can think of 19 never-to-be-released prototype pieces, 37 color combinations
of existing pieces that aren't avaiable, plus god-knows-how-many color combos
that are available at Pick-A-Brick Billund that haven't been released to the
public. Plus any color combinations that you can see at a LegoLand park. And
then there's the promo printed bricks. I wouldn't dare to try and count them
all, but I quickly found 69 of 'em. That's 125 parts that are probably pretty
equally rare and unattainable for your average collector, and I bet the ACTUAL
number is probably in the 1000's.

DaveE