 General / 49087
49086  |  49088
Subject:
Getting some organizational help from the kids
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.parents, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:50:28 GMT

My wife, who is into creating scrapbooks, was looking through her massive
collection of pictures to do a new album last night. I sat down and started
going through them too, remembering when my boys were toddlers. It's a trite
phrase, but "that seems like yesterday" was too true, and it came as something
of a shock to realize I hadn't been spending as much time with them DOING things
as when they were little. Sure, we watch TV and build from my
tv-watching-LEGO-stash, but it still seems like time's flying too quickly.

So I'm thinking of doing a Great LEGO Organizationathon at the house. We
regularly go on Brick Patrol, picking up each little misplaced piece scattered
throughout the house - well, the ones the cats haven't eaten. But my collection
is in serious disarray, and badly needs to be reorganized. I'm thinking this
will be a great way to force some serious family time. (My wife can't resist an
organizational challenge, so I'll get her roped in without a problem.)

Given that my kids are eight and ten, their attention span is precisely 22.5
minutes long - commercials not included. I've tried getting them to help sort
bricks before, but they tend to evaporate after boredom sets in, generally
within 10 minutes. BTW, their room is mined with sharp plastic, so they're not
exactly experts in the concept of "putting it away". Although, when they focus,
they're usually pretty darn good at sorting, it's just retaining their interest
that's a challenge.

Any other parents have secrets or tips to help the sprouts stay interested in
helping organize a large (several tens of thousands) LEGO collection? I've tried
telling them they couldn't play with the Star Wars sets unless they helped, but
that's a "problem later, bored now" issue that doesn't seem to impress them. Any
other appropriate carrot-sticks been used successfully out there?

Oh, and I already know how to motivate them to clean up their own smaller
collection - any pieces left on the floor at night will magically migrate to
Daddy's Collection. That might start to offset their stealthy and relentless
pillaging of MY collection.

Thanks,
Kelly