 People / Parents / 13
Re: Getting some organizational help from the kids
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.parents
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:38:41 GMT

"Kelly McKiernan" <kelly@anagrafyxx.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

Any other parents have secrets or tips to help the sprouts stay interested • in
helping organize a large (several tens of thousands) LEGO collection? I've • tried
telling them they couldn't play with the Star Wars sets unless they • helped, but
that's a "problem later, bored now" issue that doesn't seem to impress • them. Any
other appropriate carrot-sticks been used successfully out there?

[ ... snipped ... ]

My son (who is 9) is working to save money for a TRAXXAS E-MAXX radio
controled monster truck and since we aren't going to buy it for him (they
cost about $350), he is looking for opportunities to make some money.

I had a large bucket (about 40 pounds) of unsorted LEGO which he did the
first pass sort on for me for which I paid him $50.  It was well worth the
money to me, I am not sure when I would ever get to it and provided him an
opportunity to earn some money for something he really wants.  It took him
about 10 days working on it here an there, probably 20 hours total plus he
got to keep a bunch of parts out of the bucket.  For smaller sorting jobs I
can usually motivate my son with free LEGO, particularly Star Wars
mini-figs.  YMMV!

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com