 People / Parents / 7
Re: Getting some organizational help from the kids
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.parents
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:00:47 GMT

In lugnet.people.parents, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

Any other parents have secrets or tips to help the sprouts stay interested
in helping organize a large (several tens of thousands) LEGO collection?

I feel your pain!  This is what has been somewhat successful with my six
year-old.

First, I start out with the reminder that the bulk of the mess is his.  If he
doesn't help clean up, he will not be allowed to play with them.  Since he plays
with them from the time he gets up until we drag him upstairs at bedtime, this
is usually enough motivation to at least get started!

We have our "put-away box", which is an underbed storage tub that slides
perfectly under our shelving.  Everything that he is 'done' with or otherwise
crumbling goes in there, as well as any loose parts awaiting sorting.  This, at
least, keeps the mess contained.

Whenever the box is overflowing, probably about every other weekend, we take a
couple hours to tackle the box.  I've given up trying to have him actually sort
the pieces.  He seems to stay focused better if I give him the job of taking
apart the models.  (The joy of destruction seems to come well before the
pleasure of a well sorted collection!)  While he is busy taking apart, I sort
the pieces into piles based on which box they go into.  When everything is
sorted into piles, he is responsible for putting the piles away, even boxes with
individual compartments.

Probably helps, too, that our collection is arranged in a very kid-friendly way.
All shelving is easily within his reach and in clear boxes.  I really try to
make sure boxes are put back in the same place so they are quick to find.

Well, that's our routine.  Hope you find something useful.

Kristine