 People / Parents / 6
Re: Getting some organizational help from the kids
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.parents
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:06:34 GMT

In lugnet.people.parents, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
(snip)
Any other parents have secrets or tips to help the sprouts stay interested in
helping organize a large (several tens of thousands) LEGO collection? I've tried
telling them they couldn't play with the Star Wars sets unless they helped, but
that's a "problem later, bored now" issue that doesn't seem to impress them. Any
other appropriate carrot-sticks been used successfully out there?

Oh, and I already know how to motivate them to clean up their own smaller
collection - any pieces left on the floor at night will magically migrate to
Daddy's Collection. That might start to offset their stealthy and relentless
pillaging of MY collection.

Thanks,
Kelly

Well I have an idea, but it takes a bit of planning.

I *love* having my kids help with sorting, but truly I don't think it's fair to
expect their help like the expectations set forth for their regular chores.

I have used this concept, for many occasions, but it could successfully work in
this case as well.

Everyone in the family "gets" a set amount of time for one day of the week to
choose the family activity.

Meaning..... Let's say..... On Mondays child "Y" gets to choose the family
activity, (in my house, it's usually a board game, or video game that we can all
play like Mario Kart or Party). Then on Friday child "X" gets to choose (he
often picks to rent a movie which the entire family will watch together or to go
on a bike ride).  That leaves the rest of the week evenings open for personal
activities (clubs/sports) and the "dreaded" homework.  Mom and Dad can each have
a weekend day.

There are two rules to making this work.

One, there must be a decision on budget or if it must be a cost free activity,
(in my house the activity can cost up to 10 dollars, which will cover the cost
to rent a movie with some snacks).  This saves from the inevitable day a child
says "For my day, I want to go to Walt Disney World!!!"

Second, everyone must "happily" participate in the other persons choice, which
means, somewhat of a show of enthusiasm (even if it's fake) and NO complaining.
That may seem like an impossibility if your children have completely different
ideas of what fun is.  This is where a short lecture on what it means to be a
family comes in (if needed) and a quick reminder on letting them know their day
is to choose is coming up shortly.  Then comes the weekend, Mom's & Dad's day to
choose, and this can be a time when you pick to have the Lego sorted.

Of course, pick the days that suit your schedule the best, and if once a week is
too much, try it letting everyone pick a day once a month, or whatever time
frame fits the families needs.  It has to be something the family can easily
implement.

I also use this same technique when on family vacations or camping trips. Each
person gets a day to choose the activities, and even things like where or what
we will eat for meals.  That way everyone enjoys the holiday, and I don't have
to hear any complaining about the selections.

It's also time to remind yourself, you may not enjoy your child's activity, (yes
you may get stuck playing Barbies or GI Joe for that set time) but remember YOUR
day will be here fast, wink!!!

Janey "Red Brick"

P.S. I find this also works (but has nothing to do with your kids)...... let
your LEGO bricks get in a huge mess, and then invite one of your very "neat
freak" friends over. They will invariably offer to help....... this just
happened to me this week, it was great!!!!!!