 General / 49088
Re: What I learned from the .lgbt debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:56:18 GMT

Hello!

Last week we saw a debate rage on LUGNET the likes of which hadn't been seen
since the "Great Color Debate of '04."

shhhh! Don't mention the disastrous colour issue here, please! ;)

I too have learned a lot from this GLBT thread. If only to understand why gay
people act like they act sometimes and how they feel. I still don't see the need
for this newsgroup, though, then again I don't see the need for .bionicle,
either ....

Now I hope that the GLBT thread left all of us innocent and immaculate enough to
be able to deal with each other on an unbiassed basis. I'd not like to sense
negative vibrations whenever somebody involved in that thread posts MOCs or
opinions or anything else henceforth. So please no "Hm, that guy is one of the
gays from the lavender group......" nor "Hm, that's one of the narrow minded
gay-haters...". Let's stay mature and objective, things like this didn't matter
before and they shouldn't now.

One side issue that came out was a desire for a Geobra Society:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=932
Whether or not this was meant as a tongue-in-cheek suggestion initially, I think
it has gained a groundswell of legitimate support.  This is not a "reactionary"
group, but one that at least a few LUGNET members would like to see.

Thanks for the support :-) And congrats on your Lego-outing at Playmoboard!

At first it was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, of course. However, I really
didn't want to suggest anything unreasonable just for defiance sake. I didn't
lie when I said I liked Playmo and used it for inspiration. I did this several
times and I still glance at the Playmo catalogue with sympathy. I bet many AFOLs
do so, and not only with Playmobil but also with Mega Bloks and other toys that
are not LEGO. At least trainheads certainly take a look at model railway
engines.

Perhaps a newsgroup lugnet.building.inspirations was more appropriate than a
pure .playmobil group.

Bye
Jojo