 General / 49079
49078  |  49080
Subject:
What I learned from the .lgbt debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:03:18 GMT

Last week we saw a debate rage on LUGNET the likes of which hadn't been seen
since the "Great Color Debate of '04."

Unlike that time, though, I am left with a generally positive feeling about
LUGNET and its growth.  Here are some good things that I think the debate
provided (both for me personally and for the community):

I had a stance on the issue, but I didn't post because I don't like the feeling
of being challenged on an issue that has to do with my values.  I often feel
that my values (and by extention, my value) is being attacked.  This is a
personal flaw and I know I shouldn't always take things so much to heart.  So,
like with many issues on LUGNET and in the greater world, I stood back and
watched the fray - secretly rooting for opinions that were close to mine.  What
I found refreshing was that therte are several people who eloquently expressed
arguments and counter-arguments that were thoughtful and respectful.  This shows
me a way to express opinion even when it is at odds with a majority opinion.

One side issue that came out was a desire for a Geobra Society:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=932

Whether or not this was meant as a tongue-in-cheek suggestion initially, I think
it has gained a groundswell of legitimate support.  This is not a "reactionary"
group, but one that at least a few LUGNET members would like to see.  I will
gladly add my name to this list.  I have an appreciation for Playmobil and have
also used their catalogs as inspiration for MOCs.  It was just two weeks ago
that I found the Playmoboard and commented on trying to tie my Lego and
Playmobil interests together:

http://www.playmoboard.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=d3b18fa4b88a2ffe7fad1f812d53e1d6&threadid=8837

Since it is clearly off-topic, it should go in that tree (if the admins decide
that it is worthy and appropriate for LUGNET).

A final thing that I learned from the debate was an insight into how LUGNET
organizes and maintains the newsgroups.  I like the compartmentalization of
groups, but I have often felt that there were just too many.  All the unused
groups bothered me.  It seemed like clutter.  Todd's explanation of how the
groups are created and why satisfied me:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=1517

Would I still like to see some clean-up and reorganization.  Admittedly, yes.
This is the OCD part of me peeking out.  For instance (a small and largely
unimportant example) - I'd love to see the Lego Media groups that were created
(when each game was getting its own group) collapsed into one group about all
the games.  I think traffic on all those groups would support this change.

Well, I'll leave it at that.  Just wanted to say that even though there were
some ugly moments, in all I think the discussions last week helped LUGNET.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com