 General / 45244
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 06:28:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   but I am also not sure I think that changing from yellow to fleshtones is a good idea. I would have preferred that all figs remain yellow fleshed

Ahhh, but Pandora’s box has been opened, and going back is not possible. And frankly, I think it was cowardice to remain “neutral” WRT the racial issue. They simply chose to stick their collective heads in the sand. Look at the figs in the minilands-- racial diversity from the git-go. It would have been better to create racially diverse colors but omit any facial expressions as it is in miniland IMO.

JOHN

( here goes Ray making yet another offhand/foolish suggestion )

So, TLC appears to be getting into the groove of making things in varying colors (i.e. “Collect the Entire Set!”). So I think they should carry this to the next logical step... Town Minifig packs with varying skin-tone colors. In one pack, the mailman might be caucasian flesh-toned, in another pack he might be african-american and in yet another he (or she) might be asian. Why the possibilies are endless. Just think of the nightmare on BL trying to shoehorn all of the figs into the catalog. We could even have LD marketing people represented in the pack ! Entire crews for your refuse collecting truck from the blue-collar neighborhoods. Longshoremen ! Even.. AFOLs !! And while they’re at it... little people (aka kids). Why, the stereotypes are endless !

Ray (who begins to see a rational reason for having a skin-tone disconnect in a childs toy)