 General / 45265
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:40:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:

   You are making the case that TLC needs to change in order to get back to profitability. But you are ignoring the fact that TLC was profitable up to the point when it started making radical changes. Those changes were not a response to yearly losses, they were the cause of the losses.

Depends upon which changes you are talking about. I would call Bionicle a radical change from System, and yet it is the most popular LEGO line.

In any case, you are ignoring the fact that the world has changed radically in the past 20 years. I honestly believe that if TLC had decided to remain true to its roots and fixated on producing products as they did in , say, the 80’s, they would be in the tank, or at least a mere shadow of its former self. An “operating-in-a-vaccum” strategy would have surely meant TLC’s demise.

   I think reversing the original changes (changes away from a tradition that brought TLC 50+ years of profits) is a better response than piling more changes on top of the old ones. Maybe TLC has finally figured that out:

“We tried to follow trends, to have toys that were in fashion, that are ‘in’ one year and ‘out’ the next. But it didn’t work.”

I wonder what examples to which that quotation is referring. I can think of 2 examples where one supports the statement, and the other doesn’t-- Galidor and Bionicle.

And besides, the types of changes I’m talking about are within the context of the traditional system of play-- tweaks, really. Producing new flesh tones is really a minor change if you think about it, and it is a very cheap change for TLC (as opposed to new molding or the creation of a new theme). If a fig pack with flesh tones tanks, the investment is virtually nil and therefore rather a safe bet. Produce a few, and see what happens. Let the market decide without the possibility of having your shorts handed to you (as is the case when a bomb of a new theme is produced).

JOHN