 General / 45269
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 01:49:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ray Sanders wrote:
   So, TLC appears to be getting into the groove of making things in varying colors (i.e. “Collect the Entire Set!”). So I think they should carry this to the next logical step... Town Minifig packs with varying skin-tone colors. In one pack, the mailman might be caucasian flesh-toned, in another pack he might be african-american and in yet another he (or she) might be asian. Why the possibilies are endless. Just think of the nightmare on BL trying to shoehorn all of the figs into the catalog.

And of the nightmare at the sorting plant, trying to match up like-colored body parts before packing them in a set. And the nightmare in Customer Affairs, trying to figure out exactly which color head the dog ate. And the nightmare of people trying to buy a set for a specific minifig head, only to find out that it doesn’t match...after five tries. And the fact that currently only yellow and brown minifigs can run around in a thong (or *gasp* nekkid, for that matter).

Anyways, I did just have an odd thought. The production of Lando (and, by association, Mace Windu) was a huge controversial issue because some people wanted the “all minifigs are yellow” tradition to be upheld, and some people wanted Lando to be made in the color of plastic that most closely matched his actual flesh-tone. However, what about the recent Adventurers OE sub-theme? Yeah, the Chinese and probably the Himalayans make sense in yellow (having skin colors that lean towards the lighter range), but what about the ones from southern India? Last I checked, the predominant skin color there is pretty similar to that of most of Africa, but noone complained about them being made in yellow plastic. Why not? Lando being produced in yellow would have caused an uproar, but I didn’t even realize until today that the AOE Indians could have been produced in brown just as easily as Lando. Maybe it was because they preceded Lando by nearly a year?

Yep, yep, all of the above are quite valid points. Something that occured to me last night... Was Lando the first minifig patterened on a real live person who was not caucasian ? I’m thinking that there were no prior SW movie characters, which have been made into a minifig and broke this rule. So with Lando, something had to give (or risk the larger offense) and therby Pandora’s box was cracked open a bit. TLC found themselves between a rock and a hard place, so they did it. Then came NBA and now HP and Spidy. So blame it on Lando.

One last thought.. when looking at an NBA fig made with the so-called flesh-tone color, I get a different perception of the little piece of plastic, than I used to get from the yeller ones. Not sure if yellow connotes something particular in the subconcious or not, but there is a different feel from the color change.

Ray