 General / 45292
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:35:17 GMT

I have followed this thread and now I want to add my thoughts, for what they are worth.

I really like yellow. When I think of a minifig I think of a yellow face. I have, however, been quick to accept the new facial expressions and choose those above the normal smileys. I also made the change, years ago, from the old yellow heads with no hole in the top to the new hole in the top’s that came out around the time of the soldiers and pirates. Somehow they were just “cooler”.

But, even though I really like the African-American NBA players, I just can’t cope with the white guys, the flesh tones - arghh. The real issue for me is that I have always equated LEGO with quality and Megabloks etc as inferior. I couldn’t actually tell you if Megabloks have flesh tones but I have this feeling that the new flesh tones minifigs from LEGO have a greater resemblance to Megablok figures, purely because of the colour of the face.

It may just be nostalgia - I would be one of those old farts of 30 - but yellow is, in my opinion, best.

But then, as often happens during these debates, I am reminded of LEGO’s prime market, kids, and if LEGO needs to diversify in order to stay in business, that is fine by me.

I’ll keep buying, no matter the colour or facial expression - but I’m going to need a separate box for all these heads that I can hide somewhere out of sight.

Chris