 General / 45236
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 04:48:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   but I am also not sure I think that changing from yellow to fleshtones is a good idea. I would have preferred that all figs remain yellow fleshed

Ahhh, but Pandora’s box has been opened, and going back is not possible.

Why is going back not possible? If DUPLO can be revived, so can yellow figs

   And frankly, I think it was cowardice to remain “neutral” WRT the racial issue.

We may need to agree to disagree. I know I’ve taught my children well when they tell me who their friends are without referring to skin color. In an ideal world, we just wouldn’t care at all about it, and yellow figs, in my view, were LEGO’s small way of trying to bring that about.

   They simply chose to stick their collective heads in the sand. Look at the figs in the minilands-- racial diversity from the git-go.

That struck me as wrong the first time I saw it and nothing has changed my opinion.

   It would have been better to create racially diverse colors but omit any facial expressions as it is in miniland IMO.

Well I don’t like most of the new faces either.

Not sure but what this isn’t veering in the .debate direction but I’ll let you set the FUT if you reply.