 General / 44505
Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:03:57 GMT

Thomas Main wrote:

The article mentioned above is a good example of this.  Moving labor intensive
productions to an economically depressed country with high-unemployment and
lower wages is a good way to maximize profits.  Is laying people off in
high-wage countries and implying it is because of poor business performance
while hiring more people a lie?  Is it ethical?

Well, since "business performance" may reasonably be interpreted as the
measure of the company's ability to sustain higher profits, it's not
really a lie.

Further, I don't think it's a sin for a company to be motivated by the
desire to make more money, nor is it particularly wrong for them to make
what at the time is an unpopular decision in their interests of
furthering that end.  Unfair? Possibly.  Unethical?  Probably not.