 General / 43959
Re: Traumatic Events in the Life of a Lego Fan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:50:18 GMT

John Hansen wrote:
Chris, I feel your pain, I really do.  But I have never seen real train tracks
that are a uniform color.  Some of the ties are black.  Some are brown.  Others
are faded in a non-uniform manner.  It would seem to me that some color
difference in a LEGO train layout would make it more realistic as opposed to
"crappy-looking".  Expand your layout with new track.  Nobody will look at a
LEGO train layout at a GATS show or at BrickFest and say, "that layout is
crappy-looking since some of the track is a darker gray then the rest".  They're
looking at the trains and the buildings - not the track.

Actually, there's very good point to this.

But it also got me thinking that if uniformity is what is really
desired, you can still achieve a very nice effect by cycling through a
small set of colors in a fixed order... say alternate between the new
gray and the old gray throughout the whole track, and it'd actually
probably look kinda cool.

As I said elsewhere, I'm unhappy about the loss of these colors, but I
think I'll live.