 General / 43867
Re: Traumatic Events in the Life of a Lego Fan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:05:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin wrote:
The "it's grey, folks, but not as we know it" change has certainly provoked
comments ranging from thoughtful through irate, and ultimately to the
ludicrous and downright bizarre.

Lego's apparent disregard for its fans is nothing new, and many complaints
have been made on LUGNET over the years. The following, apparently copies of
correspondence with Lego, by one LegofanX, recently came to my notice, and I
submit it as evidence of Lego's ongoing disregard for its core fans.

Or not ;-)

<snip>

Well this is funny, and it did make me laugh, but most of these changes that you
mention are improvements to the product line.  Very few of these represent a
step backwards in the consistency of the product.  I know that you are mocking
some of the more hysterical responses that have been posted here today, but I
think you underestimate the impact that this change has on a lot of serious
builders.

Eliminating a color like Brown that is so useful in representing real-world
objects has a definite impact on those of us who use this product to create
semi-realistic models or scenes.  Changing the color of 9V train track has a
very definite impact on the many LTCs that might want to expand our train
layouts someday and will have to either (1) acquire old track at a steep
mark-up, (2) replace all of our existing track, or (3) have a crappy-looking
layout with mismatched colors of track.

I guess I should go clean out the Pick-a-Brick of all discontinued colors so
that I can sell it to you at an extreme markup when you realize how true this
really is.

- Chris.