 General / 43929
Re: Traumatic Events in the Life of a Lego Fan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:55:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
Changing the color of 9V train track has a
very definite impact on the many LTCs that might want to expand our train
layouts someday and will have to either (1) acquire old track at a steep
mark-up, (2) replace all of our existing track, or (3) have a crappy-looking
layout with mismatched colors of track.

Chris, I feel your pain, I really do.  But I have never seen real train tracks
that are a uniform color.  Some of the ties are black.  Some are brown.  Others
are faded in a non-uniform manner.  It would seem to me that some color
difference in a LEGO train layout would make it more realistic as opposed to
"crappy-looking".  Expand your layout with new track.  Nobody will look at a
LEGO train layout at a GATS show or at BrickFest and say, "that layout is
crappy-looking since some of the track is a darker gray then the rest".  They're
looking at the trains and the buildings - not the track.

The more likely solution is that our club will simply stop buying new track.  If
we decide to expand our layout, we will probably just borrow track from our
members.  (I'll lend all of mine if necessary.)  When you consider the
significant marketing function that LTCs provide to LEGO (NELUG alone handed out
hundreds of S@H catalogs last weekend and our layout was seen by thousands of
people) I wouldn't think they would want to have inconsistent ABS colors to be
so obvious.  It will appear to most people to be a quality issue, not an
intentional change.

Although many have suggested that these color variations will add to the realism
of their models/layouts, I would prefer that this effect was voluntary and not
dictated by an arbitrary change to the colors.

- Chris.