 General / 17697
Re: German Halftrack, Armored Car, etc. etc ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:21:29 GMT

Shaun Sullivan <sullis3@mit.edu> writes:

You're right ... I think some smaller wheels would be more accurate
in terms of size, but I had made the decision to go with the big old'
tires 'cause I thought they looked cool.  The overall effect is very
similar to the original, but the size is inflated somewhat.

While attention to scale certainly is important, the appearance is
probably even more important.  And your models really look realistic!

Given the choice to incorporate minifigs at all, there is probably no
other solution than to build at inflated size.  Otherwise it wouldn't be
possible to seat figures realistically at all in the vehicles.

The problem is probably the lumpyness of the minifigs themselves.  They
don't model real people any good at all, being too wide and having too
large heads.  Perhaps they are good to model really fat dwarfs (I hope
this isn't offensive to anybody...), but that isn't too helpful.

Another solution would be to simply discard the idea of modeling real
vehicles and structures, and instead create a "minifig" world where
things aren't supposed to be scaled correctly.  That way, one could
create the models so that they fit the minifig needs (wide vehicles
would be one particular need) as opposed to cramming minifigs into "real
world" designs, obviously making them uncomfortable.

Personally, I prefer to forget about minifigs alltogether and
concentrate on making realistical models of real world thingeys.  But
that's my preference, and I would certainly respect other's!

Fredrik