 General / 17689
Re: German Halftrack, Armored Car, etc. etc ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:05:36 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

The rear bed is a little too large, but you would only need to cut
about 1/2 stud off its length to bring it into line, I think.
Anyways, it's great looking, and I just think of it as an extended
bed model for a gun mount ;)

Actually, I meant the scale of the vehicle, not only the length.  I
belive the scale is too large (about 25%?) for minifigs.  Just look at
the wheels, which reach the minifigs to well above the hips!  And the
scale of the wheels is what I started out with in the first place, so
the rest of the vehicle is pretty much to the scale of them.

But of course, a Willys Jeep to minifig scale would be even harder to
make and would be much less playable, not seating more than one (or
two) figs.

But the scale of the other military vehicles you made also seem to be
too large.  For example the wheels of the 4x4 armoured car are roughly
as tall as a fig!

You're right ... I think some smaller wheels would be more accurate in terms of
size, but I had made the decision to go with the big old' tires 'cause I thought
they looked cool.  The overall effect is very similar to the original, but the
size is inflated somewhat.

The Halftrack is also significantly larger than it technically "should be" in
order to be scaled to minifig height - the ideal example of this is with the
tracks themselves.  If you look at one of the pictures on the brickshelf page
(sdkfz251_book2.jpg, uploaded this a.m.), you can see German Stormtroopers next
to an Sd.kfz 251 ... and the tracks are only about thigh-high.  Unfortunately,
the technic wheels themselves stand about chest-to-neck high on a minifig.  As
with your jeep, the rest of the car is scaled to that, with an emphasis on
keeping the appearance dimensionally similar to the real-world counterpart.

I guess I can reconcile myself to these proportionas by noticing that although
the height seems wrong, the width of the vehicles as compared to minifigs seems
just about dead on - in your jeep, for example, there is just room for two people
side by side in the front, and the overall vehicle width is perfect.  Same with
the halftrack ... it is crowded, but the widthwise dimension seems perfectly
scaled to the breadth of a minifig.  Since we all know that minifigs are not
proportional to a grown contemporary person, having a construction that is
minifig-scale in one dimension (any dimension) fits my bill of requirements ;) *

shaun

* it is possible to model something that is proportionate to all dimensions of a
minifig - the caveat is, if the object is modelled after something in the "real
world", it will not be dimensionally self-similar to its real-world counterpart.
That is, a "truly" mini-fig scale halftrack would look short and squat, being
about the same width, a bit shorter in length, and much shorter in height.