 General / 17690
Re: German Halftrack, Armored Car, etc. etc ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:10:56 GMT

Shaun Sullivan wrote:

I guess I can reconcile myself to these proportionas by noticing that although
the height seems wrong, the width of the vehicles as compared to minifigs seems
just about dead on - in your jeep, for example, there is just room for two people
side by side in the front, and the overall vehicle width is perfect.  Same with
the halftrack ... it is crowded, but the widthwise dimension seems perfectly
scaled to the breadth of a minifig.  Since we all know that minifigs are not
proportional to a grown contemporary person, having a construction that is
minifig-scale in one dimension (any dimension) fits my bill of requirements ;) *

shaun

Here I am, already correcting myself.  Looking at the dimensions for the real world
halftrack (2.10 m wide), it is painfully clear that even the width is too large - so
the conclusion is, my halftrack is *about* minifig scale, and dimensionally
self-similar to the actual WWII-era halftracks it is modelling.  As with many LEGO
models, the construction is scaled to a particular piece or set of pieces that is
determined integral to the appearance of the model - in this case, the technic wheels
were the keystone.  Since I was determined to use them, the rest of the sizes had to
fall in line, and hence, what you see is the result.

Wow, lots of philosophizing ;)

shaun